This is a first: we had to reschedule the Mollycoddles concert due to a NATO summit descending on Chicago in mid-May.
Same concert: music by Brian Baxter, Eric Malmquist, Luke Gullickson, James Klopfleisch, and Ben Hjertmann. Lots of piano; lots of treats; 3/4-assed mysticism; fully-assed compositional explorations; reception to follow at local watering hole. (I'm told there is an acceptable bar somewhere in the loop but have yet to substantiate.)
Curtiss Hall, Fine Arts Building, downtown Chicago.
Friday, May 25, 8pm.
Okay and listen, people, I've got another album full of tasty Golconda tunes for you. Can we accept that this is a big deal? I wrote 'em last summer in New Mexico and did the recording last month here in Chicago. I'm still adding touches and awaiting fantastic album art from a Gulch friend.
Here is a sample you can check out, and I'll even give you an annotated tracklisting to read whilst listening, with song titles, durations, and even where I wrote each tune, because come on, you know me, I friggin love place music.
Golconda - From the Canyons to the Star
1. Water (4:24, El Morro)
2. FR 178 (2:22, Albuquerque)
3. Evening (4:01, McGaffey)
4. Alegres (1:49, Pie Town)
5. July 24 (4:53, Durango)
6. Morning (2:22, Cottonwood Gulch Back Porch)
7. Chaco (2:06, Cottonwood Gulch Staff Room)
8. Road Song (6:42, I think I wrote the lick at El Morro or maybe La Plata Canyon, added words gradually, finished them at an Albuquerque coffee shop the day I left for Colorado and points east.)
Be looking for an early-May release on this one. I'm looking forward to it.
• Gone Walkabout
• Music as Drama
• Crossroads II
• 10 Best of 2014
• January: Wyoming and the Open
• February: New Mexico and the Holes
• Coming Up
• Notes on The Accounts
• Crossroad Blues